Many things go into the selection of a toilet. Among other things, you have to consider what features you want, the size of your bathroom, as well as the cost, of course. Another vital feature that should always be considered — which is also one of the most overlooked — is the rough-in.
The rough-in of a toilet is usually a good indication of how well the toilet will fit into a bathroom. It is thus very important, especially when picking toilets for small bathrooms. Imagine you go and get a toilet for your small bathroom. The toilet ticks all the boxes, but you neglected the rough-in, and you find out it makes your bathroom smaller. It can be very frustrating, indeed.
Most toilets with a 10-inch are compact, which improves their portability. Aside from fitting into your small bathroom, therefore, they are also easy to transport and install. If you are looking to get a toilet with a 10-inch, we have reviewed the best 10-inch rough-in toilets to help make your decision easier.
Best 10-Inch Rough-in Toilets Comparison
|Image||Product Name||Dimensions||GPF||Latest Price|
|Kohler K-3713-96 Highline Classic Toilet||0.4 x 29.5 x 17.6 inches||1.28 GPF||Check Price|
|Toto CST744SF.10#01 Two-Piece Toilet||29 x 15 x 17.2 inches||1.6 GPF||Check Price|
|American Standard 270DB001.222 Toilet||26.2 x 17 x 29.1 inches||1.6 GPF||Check Price|
|KOHLER K-3851-0 Cimarron Toilet||27.2 x 17.6 x 30.5 inches||1.28 GPF||Check Price|
|American Standard Right Height Toilet||28.5 x 17 x 30.2 inches||1.28 GPF||Check Price|
1. Kohler Highline Classic Comfort Height Two-Piece Elongated Toilet
Kohler is a brand that often comes up in any discussion about top toilet manufacturers, and the Kohler K-3713-RA-96 Highline Classic Comfort is one of their best products. It has a simple, modern design that adds a classic look to your bathroom. The toilet is compact and has a 10-inch rough-in, making it suitable for small bathrooms.
If you are looking for a water-saving toilet, this Kohler toilet is an excellent choice, too, as it only uses 1.28 gallons of water per flush (GPF). It is also certified by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) WaterSense.
This two-piece toilet has an elongated bowl and a comfortable seat height (Check out for more chair height toilets), so you do not have to worry about comfort when using this toilet. One drawback is that it does not come with a seat, so you have to get one separately.
- The compact size and 10-inch rough-in make it suitable for small bathrooms.
- The toilet has a modern design that gives your bathroom a classy look.
- It is an efficient water saver, as it uses only 1.28 GPF.
- The elongated bowl and standard seat height make it a comfortable toilet to use.
- The toilet has a powerful flushing system.
- This toilet does not come with a seat.
- The elongated bowl makes it difficult to use a plunger in case of clogging.
The Kohler K-3713-RA-96 Highline Classic Comfort toilet uses a Class Five (R) technology for flushing, which provides a powerful flushing performance. This adds to the water-saving ability of the toilet and makes it one of the best 10-inch rough-in toilets in the market today. It boasts a powerful canister flush valve that eliminates clogs.
2. Toto Drake Two-Piece Toilet
Toto is another brand that has produced excellent toilets over the years. The Toto CST744SF.10#01 CST744SF.10No.01 Drake Toilet is one of their top-quality products. This two-piece toilet has a sleek look, and the 10-inch makes it fit into most small spaces. The toilet uses 1.6 GPF, meeting the minimum requirements for a water-saving toilet.
This 10-inch rough-in toilet uses a G-max flushing system, which produces a clean and powerful flush. The elongated bowl and standard seat height ensure you have a comfortable experience every time you need to visit the bathroom. This toilet is a bit on the pricey side, though the excellent features it offers make it worth the cost.
- This two-piece toilet is easy to use and install.
- The 10-inch rough-in makes it a brilliant choice for small bathrooms.
- This toilet has a standard seat height and an elongated bowl that give you a comfortable experience.
- The toilet uses 1.6 GPF, making it an efficient water-saving toilet.
- The G-max flushing system gives it a powerful and efficient flush.
- The toilet has been known to last long.
- This toilet is a bit pricey.
- You will need to buy a seat separately, as it does not come with one.
- The angle of the bowl sometimes causes urine to splash out when the toilet is being used.
The Toto Drake Two-Piece Toilet uses a G-max flushing system, which gives it a powerful and efficient flush. This means that you do not have to waste water flushing multiple times, adding to its water-saving capability. It comes with the tank components preinstalled, making the installation process a lot faster and easier.
3. American Standard Cadet 3 Toilet
The American Standard 270DB001.222 Cadet 3 is another excellent toilet from a well-respected brand. The round front and 10-inch rough-in make it a top choice for small bathrooms. The body is made from vitreous china, which is highly durable and easy to clean. One weakness of this toilet is the fact that the seat is not included in the package, so you have to purchase the seat as a separate unit.
The 1.6 GPF makes this model an impressive water-saving toilet, which should be of high priority these days. The EverClean surface helps prevent the growth of bacteria on the body of the toilet, and it also prevents unpleasant odor. It has an oversized 3-inch chemical-resistant flushing valve that gives it an efficient flush.
- This toilet has around the front, making it perfect for small spaces.
- The vitreous china body is very durable and easy to clean.
- It helps save water, as it only uses 1.6 GPF.
- A chemical-resistant 3-inch valve gives it a powerful flush.
- The toilet has a sleek design that adds to the beauty of your bathroom.
- The toilet comes with a manual and tools for installation, so the installation process is pretty straightforward.
- The toilet does not come with a seat.
- The lid on the tank does not fit firmly.
The American Standard 270DB001.222 Cadet 3 Two-Piece toilet has an EverClean surface that makes it stay clean longer. This surface prevents the growth of bacteria and odor-causing agents. The 3-inch flushing valve is the standout feature of this toilet, and it gives the toilet an impressive flushing power that results in a clean flush.
4. KOHLER K Cimarron Comfort Height Toilet
The Kohler K-3851-0 Cimarron toilet is another toilet that deserves a spot on this list because of its excellent features. It is a good water-saving toilet, and EPA WaterSense certifies it. The round bowl and comfortable height make it popular among users.
If you are looking for a toilet that will fit right into your bathroom, the Kohler Cimarron toilet would be perfect. It is not packaged with a seat, though, so you will have to buy that separately. If you can look past this, you will find that it is a pretty comfortable toilet to use. This two-piece toilet uses an AquaPiston flush technology that makes the flushing action clean and adequate.
- The standard height means you are guaranteed a comfortable visit to the bathroom.
- This toilet boasts a powerful AquaPiston flush system, making the flushing action clean and efficient.
- The toilet has an EPA WaterSense certification.
- The installation process is fast and straightforward.
- The toilet seat has to be bought separately.
- This toilet is more expensive than the average 10-inch rough-in toilet.
- The toilet does not come with a supply line, so you would have to get that separately too.
The flushing power of a toilet determines how much water it saves, as toilets with weak flushing power require multiple flushes. You do not have to worry about this with the Kohler K-3851-0 Cimarron toilet because the AquaPiston flush system is one of the most powerful in the market. It offers you about 16,500 gallons in water savings every year, which will significantly reduce your water bill.
5. American Standard Cadet 3 Right Height High-Efficiency Toilet
The American Standard Cadet 3 Right Height Elongated Flowise toilet is another excellent product from the American Standard Cadet series. This two-piece toilet has a standard seat height and elongated bowl that make using it a pleasant experience. It is an efficient water-saving toilet, as it uses only 1.28 GPF. It is also EPA WaterSense certified. The compact size means it will fit right into your small bathroom.
The exterior and interior of this toilet are made from vitreous china, and it is coated with an antimicrobial EverClean surface. This surface makes the toilet resistant to bacteria and prevents unpleasant odor. The 3-inch valve guarantees a powerful and efficient flush, so you do not have to worry about clogs. All these features make it deserving of a place in this list of the best 10-inch rough-in toilets.
- The toilet has a standard seat height, making it comfortable for most adults.
- It uses 1.28 GPF, which means it’s a good water-saving toilet.
- The toilet is easy to install and use.
- This toilet has a compact size and a 10-inch rough-in that make it a superb choice for small spaces.
- The 3-inch valve gives it a powerful flushing action.
- This toilet does not come with a seat.
- This two-piece toilet contains many contours where dirt can hide, so it needs a more thorough cleaning.
The American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise Two-Piece toilet has an EverClean surface that prevents bacteria, mold, and mildew from growing on the body of the toilet. It uses an oversized 3-inch valve for flushing. This valve gives it a powerful flushing action, making it water- and energy-efficient.
The 10-inch Rough-in Toilet Buying Guide
Getting a 10-inch rough-in toilet is not so different from getting any other toilet because most of the features you will consider are characteristic of any good toilets.
Here are some other factors to consider aside from the rough-in.
Most people do not know the effect a toilet choice can make in how much money they save in water bills every year. There are different types of toilets on the market with varying types of flush. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a toilet should not use more than 1.6 gallons of water for every flush.
However, some toilets use significantly less than this standard volume, and these toilets are excellent water-saving options. Using a dual flush toilet can also help save water as you can use different quantities of water for different types of waste.
Before buying a toilet, therefore, look at how much water it consumes per flush.
The height of a toilet affects how comfortable using it will be. Toilets with a height below the standard value are generally more suitable for shorter people, while toilets with height above the standard value are suitable for tall people. You should consider the height of the people that are going to use the toilet when making your decision. Sit on the toilet before purchasing it, so you can experience the feel of using it.
The shape of a toilet bowl is an underrated feature that is easily ignored by most toilet users. The bowl shape affects the space-saving capacity of the toilet as well as how comfortable it is to use. Toilets with round bowls are better fits for small bathrooms. Elongated toilets, on the other hand, are more comfortable to use because your legs are more naturally positioned while using it. Choose whichever fits your needs more.
The type of flushing system a toilet uses should also be on your list of considerations because it determines the flushing power and efficiency of the toilet. A toilet with a powerful flushing system could help save water, as it will not require multiple flushing to remove all the waste.
It is imperative that you go for a system that will make flushing easy for you. A toilet is meant to provide relief, so using it should not be tedious.
Installing a 10-inch Rough-in Toilet
If you have done your research and decided on which toilet to get, the next thing to do is install it. Most of these 10-inch rough-in toilets are easy to install, so it is smart to save money by installing the toilet yourself instead of hiring a professional. However, it is crucial that you get it right the first time around so as not to pay more than the amount you are trying to save.
Here are simple steps you should take to install your toilet:
- If your bathroom does not have a drain for the 10-inch rough-in toilet, you will have to install a drainpipe.
- Place the wax ring on the main drain opening.
- The bolt-holding ring should be attached to the floor close to the wax ring. Then put the bolt in a way that the threads are facing the toilet you want to install.
- Gently lower the toilet to align with the wax ring and bolts. Ensure that the wax ring remains in place, or you could have a big leak in your hands.
- After placing the toilet on the bolts and wax ring, use the nuts to tighten the setup.
- Assemble all the other parts of the toilet that have not been installed.
- Make sure you check the toilet for any form of a leak, and then you are good to go.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Most people do not pay attention to the rough-in of a toilet, so when the topic comes, there are usually some questions that follow. Here are some of the common questions asked.
1. Why does the rough-in have to be 10 inches?
This question comes up when you tell someone about 10-inch rough-in toilets. The few extra inches that a 10-inch toilet gives could be what makes your shower door or your cabinet door open entirely. Apart from this, bathrooms in most older houses are built to accommodate smaller toilets, so if you live in such a house, you need to have a toilet with a 10-inch rough-in.
2. How can I measure the rough-in of a toilet?
The rough-in of a toilet is the separation between the toilet and the middle of the outlet pipe. The outlet pipe is where waste passes out of the toilet. Most toilets nowadays come with a 12-inch rough-in. In cases where the outlet pipe is further away or closer to the wall, a 14-inch or 10-inch rough-in toilets are used, respectively.
The measurement is pretty straightforward — all you have to do is place one end of your measuring tape on the wall and then measure the distance to the bolt caps. You should note that the measurement should not be taken from the molding but the wall.
3. What are the advantages of using a 10-inch rough-in toilet?
Using a toilet with a 10-inch rough-in has many advantages. Here are some of the benefits these toilets have over others:
- The most obvious advantage is the fact that these toilets save space. The extra space that this toilet offers will add to the convenience of using your bathroom. This is especially true for houses with small bathrooms.
- A 10-inch rough-in toilet can use the same toilet technology used by toilets with a 12-inch rough-in.
- Apart from the different rough-in, these toilets can be installed like most other toilets.
4. What are the disadvantages of using a 10-inch toilet?
Toilets with a 10-inch rough-in are excellent toilet choices, but they still have their flaws. Let us consider some of the disadvantages of using these toilets.
- Toilets are not as commonly used as other toilets like the toilet. This makes it a little challenging to get spare parts when it needs to be repaired.
- These toilets generally have smaller toilet bowl than toilets with other rough-in sizes. This has become an issue for some users, as they complain that the small bowls are not comfortable when using the toilet.
5. How do I maintain my 10-inch rough-in toilet?
A toilet is one of the most used pieces of hardware in the home. You have to take good care of it, so it will last as long as possible. Let us take a look at some of the common issues that could come up.
- Leaks – It is essential that you check your toilet regularly for leaks so that you will be able to deal with them on time. Leaks sometimes occur when the gasket or wax ring holding the toilet to the floor starts to degrade, allowing water to pass through. Leaks can damage the floor so they should be fixed as soon as possible.
- Blockages – Blocked toilets are common, especially if you are using toilets with a weak flushing system. A blocked toilet cannot be used until the passage has been cleared. You can use a plunger to solve this problem, but if this does not work, quickly contact your plumber.
- Stability – A wobbly toilet is uncomfortable to use, and the wax ring could deteriorate, leading to leakages. A wobble can be caused by poor installation or if the nut holding the toilet down has come loose. It is important that you secure your toilet tightly to prolong its lifespan.
The need to pass out waste regularly has made toilets one of the most important pieces of hardware in the household. It is, therefore, essential that you pick a toilet that fits perfectly into your bathroom. When considering what toilet to purchase, you should not overlook the rough-in as it is an important factor, especially for houses with small bathrooms.
Toilets that have a rough-in of 10 inches are brilliant choices for those with small bathrooms because they help you manage the small space perfectly. While considering the rough-in, however, do not forget to consider other features as well, like the seat height, water consumption, and the flushing system, as they are equally vital for picking a good toilet.
If you are going shopping for a 10-inch rough-in toilet, and you do not know which one to get, this review is a good place to start. Buy any one of the toilets mentioned here, and you’ll be sure to get a good one.