Choosing the perfect toilet that blends well into your existing bathroom design is never easy. There are many options available with different features and varying prices. When it comes to choosing a toilet for your bathrooms, there are two things you should prioritize: the quality and the price. With these two factors in mind, the KOHLER brand comes out ahead of the competition.
If you’re looking for a quality toilet, take a look at this KOHLER Memoirs Toilet review and see whether it fits your needs.
Key Features of the KOHLER Memoirs Toilet
Material and Design
This two-piece toilet is made of vitreous china that makes it durable and easy to clean. It has an elongated bowl for enhanced comfort as well as a comfort height that makes sitting and standing easier, even for tall people, the elderly, and the handicapped.
This ADA (American with Disabilities Act)-compliant toilet’s clear and detailed lines enhance its design. The canister is durable with rounded edges for easy cleaning. It has an effective seal, too, that reduces the possibility of leakages. The seal is durable because it’s never exposed to the tank water.
The Memoirs toilet uses the Class Five flushing technology (the bulk flushing system), a powerful system that uses less amount of water yet works efficiently and effectively with each flush.
It has a large flush valve, which paves the way for complete and quick disposal of solid wastes. To maintain the cleanliness of the toilet, the bowl releases the water from all sides. Its large trapway is 2 1/8 inches to allow for quick passage of waste with less tendency to clog.
This toilet, like any other KOHLER toilets, is a water saver. It only uses 1.28 GPF (gallons of water per flush), way less than the standard 1.6 GPF. The reduced amount of water per flush is reflected on your lower utility bills and has earned it an EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) WaterSense certification.
Despite the low water consumption, you only need to flush once as it uses an AquaPiston Flush Technology. The Memoirs toilet is eco-friendly because you preserve the most vital resource in the world, water.
To further save water, move your lever halfway for a half-flush when flushing liquid wastes.
The toilet is made using stainless material and vitreous enamel coating for the perfect finishing. It comes in 6 other colors aside from the usual white. It also has an AquaPiston conventional valve to aid its flush instead of the regular flippers. Its comfort height makes it a comfortable toilet to use even for tall people, the elderly, and the handicapped.
With the high pressure and low volume of water, the toilet only needs to be flushed once. Its price is above average, yes, but the quality and design of this KOHLER toilet make it worth the price.
Things We Like
There are many things we like about this toilet. Here are some of them:
- It has a traditional and elegant design which will suit most bathrooms.
- It has a sturdy construction, which makes it durable.
- Its major benefit is being a water saver. You will save money from reduced water bills while also helping to conserve water.
- Its power flush makes it easy to clean and maintain. There is a reduced need for maintenance because clogging is uncommon.
- It has a comfortable height that may be used by people of all ages. Sitting and standing are easy with this toilet.
- Its elongated bowl further enhances the user’s comfort, and the canister is leak-proof because it is seal protected.
- Its Class Five flushing technology is one of a kind. Together with the AquaPiston canister, the toilet has a very powerful flush. Aside from just flushing wastes, the power flushing also cleanses the bowl.
- It has a standard left-hand lever that works with a single flush. It can even be pushed halfway to produce a half-flush for liquid wastes. This lever makes it easy to use, even for children.
Things We Don’t Like
There are not so many negative aspects of this toilet except those that you may overlook or can work on. Here are some of them:
- You have to buy the seat and supply line because they not included in the package. This increases the total cost of the toilet.
- The toilet flapper is weak and mostly lasts less than a year.
- Some customers complain that it flushes louder than standard toilets. This is a result of the AquaPiston cistern pressure.
- Some people complain that it doesn’t flush well. Always ensure your cistern water level is reached and then give it a nice single power flush.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to install the KOHLER Memoirs Toilet?
The manufacturers say that with a little plumbing knowledge, you can install the toilet yourself. The toilet is easy to mount on the floor since it is lightweight. It comes with 3 pre-installed tank bolts.
- Make sure the floor where you need to place the toilet is leveled.
- Install the T-bolts and new wax rings while removing the rag if your waste flange is plugged.
- Apply its weight evenly and don’t move it after placement to avoid watertight seal breakage.
- Install the washers and nuts while making sure it’s not overtightened.
- At this point, if you need to, cut the T-bolt before installing its cap.
- Tighten the tank bolts evenly and adjust them to level the tank.
- Connect your water supply then turn on the water. To check whether it’s leak-free, flush it several times. Adjust the water level if you need to.
- Install its seat and tank lid, and you are ready to use your toilet.
2. Common problems of the KOHLER Memoirs Toilet
- Some people say that it has a high water line.
This may make it uncomfortable for taller or older people. When you sit on it, your private parts may touch the waterline. The best solution is to buy a higher seat.
- The toilet seat and lid are not part of the package.
Most people complain that you need to buy a seat and lid separately. You do need to spend a bit more for them, but if you love the value offered by KOHLER, this won’t matter.
- There are a number of complaints about receiving broken pieces of the toilet.
This is something that should be solved by the KOHLER packaging team as well as Amazon.
3. What is the dimension and rough-in of this KOHLER toilet?
It has a dimension of 18.88 × 28.38 × 31.13 inches and a standard rough-in of 12 inches.
4. What is included in the package?
You get a bowl and a tank when you order the toilet. You have to purchase the seat and lid separately. Most seats will fit the toilet’s standard design.
After thorough research, the Memoirs seems to be worth the price if you are looking for a toilet that combines a classic traditional design with a powerful and efficient flush. It is a water-saver and is a comfortable toilet to use by anyone, too.
Whether you choose this or some other KOHLER toilet, you’ll be sure to end up with a quality toilet for your bathroom.