When it comes to toilets and other bathroom accessories, American Standard is undoubtedly a leading name in the industry. They have introduced a number of products in the market that have been quite well-received by consumers. Their Champion 4, for example, is a highly-rated toilet given its design and functionality. It is definitely up there with the best toilets on the market today.
Buying a toilet isn’t just a matter of randomly choosing one off a brochure or a website; there are a lot of factors you have to consider. The design is one, of course, but it also has to have more than that, specifically, being economical and efficient.
If you have decided on an American Standard toilet for your bathroom, we have written a comprehensive American Standard Champion review to show you the features of this toilet and hopefully help you in making a smart decision.
Key Features of the American Standard Champion 4 Toilet
Material and Design
If the design is your number one consideration when picking a toilet, the Champion 4 is an excellent choice. Its ADA (American with Disabilities Act)-compliant elongated bowl gives a comfortable experience, and its vitreous china finish makes the toilet look classy.
One significant upside to using this toilet is its EverClean surface that prevents the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew on the surface of the toilet. It makes it easy to clean and it stays cleaner for a longer time. The toilet is also lightweight. Weighing just 74 lbs, it is one of the more lightweight toilets on the market, making it easy to transport and install.
One other feature of this toilet that we find commendable is its powerful flushing system. It uses a 4-inch flushing valve that uses a piston action acceleration technology. This gives the toilet an efficient flushing action, so you only need to flush once, saving you the headache of needing to flush the toilet multiple times after each use. With its EverClean surface and its powerful flushing system, cleaning the toilet will be a breeze.
The water consumed by a toilet every time it is flushed is a very important factor to take in consideration. Just imagine how many times you and the people in your household use and flush the toilet every day. If it uses a lot of water, can you imagine how high your water bills will be every month?
It uses only 1.6 GPF (gallons of water per flush), qualifying it for a water-saving toilet.
When it comes to the overall quality of a toilet, we take into consideration all its important features. We look at its design, the flushing system, water consumption, durability, and the ease of use.
The toilet ticks most of these boxes. It looks pretty nice, and it has an elongated bowl that makes it a comfortable toilet for most adults. The toilet is water efficient, and its powerful 4-inch piston action flushing system gives it an efficient flush.
Overall, the Champion 4 toilet is a great toilet choice for anyone going for a toilet that has excellent value.
Things We Like
Just as you would expect from an American Standard toilet, It has many features that make it suitable for your bathroom. Some of these features include:
- The toilet has a sleek design that makes it pleasing to the eye and makes your bathroom look classy.
- It has a powerful 4-inch piston action flush valve that gives it an efficient flushing action.
- It is a water-saving toilet using only 1.6 GPF.
- The toilet has an EverClean surface that prevents the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew on the toilet surface.
- It has an elongated bowl that makes it a comfortable toilet to use.
- This toilet is quite easy to install, so if you are a hands-on person, you can install the toilet yourself without needing to call a professional plumber.
Things We Don’t Like
Although this toilet is of high quality, it is not perfect. Here are things we do not like about this toilet.
- The toilet seat is not included in the package, so you would have to get one separately. This adds to the cost of setting up the toilet.
- The toilet is quite tall, so shorter people will find using it a bit uncomfortable.
- The uniqueness of the toilet has raised concerns about the availability of its parts in case something needs to be replaced.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How to install an American Standard Champion 4 toilet?
The first thing you should do is install the bolts in the flange, making sure the threaded side of the bolt is facing up. Next, install the wax ring around the flange and apply a sealant around the base of the toilet. Carefully place the toilet on the flange and make sure that the bolts enter into the right holes.
After this, use the nuts and washers to hold the toilet in place and ensure it’s not too tight. Gently press the toilet down on the flange and wax ring. Make the necessary water supply connections and you are done with the installation. It is pretty straightforward.
2. What is the dimension and rough-in of the toilet?
It has pretty basic dimensions. The height of the toilet is 32-½ inches, and the width is 18-¼ inches. The depth of the toilet is 30-3/8 inches, and the seat height is 16-½ inches.
The seat height is ADA compliant, so if comfort is high on your priority list, which it should, the toilet is an excellent option for you.
Common Problems with the Champion 4 Toilet
Like any other toilet, there are some common issues associated with using the toilet. Some of these include:
- If you make the flush valve too tight during installation, you may experience a leak in the toilet. Ensure you fix the leak promptly to avoid further damage.
- The toilet sometimes gets clogged, which may lead to a poor flushing action and consequently water wastage. You can fix the clog by pouring a bucketful of water into the toilet. You can also use a plunger to fix this.
- Sometimes the tank refills very slowly. This may be because of a partially closed shut-off valve. All you have to do is turn the valve and then the problem is solved. If the slow refill is not caused by the shut-off valve, get a plumber to look at your toilet.
The toilet is a top of the line toilet that offers you a stress-free experience every time you use it. It has a powerful flushing system and its EverClean surface makes it easy to clean. It saves water every flush, too, so it won’t increase your utility bills.
If you are thinking of getting an American Standard toilet, hopefully, this American Standard Champion 4 review has helped you make a smart decision.