Imagine you decided to take that long-deserved camping trip with your family. You pack everything your need, and you know for sure that you are going to have the best time with your family.
After setting up the camp, you feel the need to relieve yourself. As you are in the wilderness, there is nowhere for you to go but in the bushes. It is already very dark, though, and you don’t know what might be waiting for you out there. You then realize you should have made brought a mobile toilet.
Indeed, having a portable toilet is a necessity if you go hiking or camping often. A portable toilet is a way to go, especially if you have children.
Unlike household toilets, a portable toilet is easy to carry, easy to use, and easy to maintain. It is suitable for use in a mobile vehicle RV, Van, Boats, or Caravans. It becomes handy when you need quick deployment of sanitation systems in under-construction building sites, concerts, or festivals.
We have put together a list of the best portable toilets in 2021 so you can make an informed decision about which one to get for your upcoming camping or hiking trip.
Best Portable Toilets in 2021: Top 7 Picks
|Product Name||Latest Price||Dimensions||Weight|
|Camco Premium Portable Travel Toilet||Check Price||18.3 x 17.7 x 16.2 Inches||11.5 lbs|
|Reliance Products Luggable Loo Toilet||Check Price||13.50 x 13 x 15.56 Inches||3.00 lbs|
|Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet||Check Price||18 x 18 x 16 Inches||10 lbs|
|Palm Springs Outdoor Toilet||Check Price||16.5 x 13.5 x 12 Inches||9.75 lbs|
|Flexzion Portable Camping Toilet||Check Price||18 x 18 x 16 Inches||11 lbs|
|Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Complete Toilet||Check Price||25 x 25 x 25 Inches||7.98 lbs|
|Earthtec ETEC Non-Stick Toilet||Check Price||16.5 x 14.6 x 16.9 Inches||13.4 lbs|
1. Camco Premium Portable Travel Toilet
Camco is an established brand when it comes to portable toilets. The Camco 41544 Premium toilet is one of their best products. Its seat size is larger than most other portable toilets, making it a comfortable toilet to use. The efficient flushing action rinses the bowl thoroughly and quickly.
The 5.3-gallon waste tank has a slick surface, which makes it easier to clean and empty. Removal of the 3.75-gallon flush tank is easy, and the spring on the latch makes reattaching it a breeze. This toilet is very durable, so you can be sure of using it for a long time. It is also lightweight and small-sized and has strong handles, making it easy to carry around. All these features make it one of the best porta potties in the market today.
- It has a large seat size, making it a very comfortable toilet.
- It has a detachable flush tank, which makes disposal of waste an easy task.
- Its small size and light weight make it easy to transport.
- The 5.3-gallon capacity waste tank means you do not have to worry about frequent disposal.
- This toilet is easy to clean and maintain.
- Its heavy-duty body makes it a durable toilet.
- The bottom tank cannot withstand much pressure.
- The flush lever may be a little difficult to pull out.
- Some people find the tiny hole that collects the waste difficult to deal with.
The Camco 41544 Premium travel toilet has a sliding gate valve that locks in odors and prevents any leak. The interior surface is made of ABS material, which makes it easy to clean as well as seals in odors. We highly recommend it for camping, RVing, boating, or any other recreational outdoor activity.
2. Reliance Luggable Loo Portable Toilet
The Reliance Luggable Loo Portable toilet is one brand you will find on most lists of best portable camping toilets, and for a good reason. This toilet has a simple design, and it is a great choice for a budget toilet. It has a 5-gallon capacity, which removes the need for constant disposal of the waste. It has a lid that you can close to prevent unpleasant odors from leaking out.
This toilet is a little shorter than most, although the height still makes it a comfortable toilet. It is an excellent choice for use in your RV, boats, and vans, as it looks just like a bucket when the lid is closed. The inside of this toilet can be lined with plastic bags or any type of disposable trash bag to make disposing of the waste easier.
- Its simple, lightweight build and handle make it an easy toilet to carry.
- It has a 5-gallon capacity, making it suitable for use for long periods before disposing of the waste.
- The height and lid that serves as the seat make using it comfortable.
- This toilet is a great economical option for a portable toilet.
- The lid locks tightly, preventing odors from escaping.
- Its sturdy build makes it a long-lasting toilet.
- Some users have complained of the lid breaking after a few uses.
- The build of the toilet makes it easy to be knocked off, which could cause a mess.
- This toilet is not very suitable for heavyweight people.
This Luggable Loo portable toilet can be used with the Double Doodie bags. This makes cleaning virtually unnecessary, and all you have to do is dispose of the waste adequately. If you do not want to use the disposable toilet paper, you can use a paper bag or add peat moss to the toilet for composting.
3. Thetford Porta Potti Curve Portable Toilet
The Thetford 92360 Porta Potti Curve portable toilet is a top of the line toilet with a sleek design that makes it modern and homelike. Its water capacity is 4 gallons, on average, around 56 flushes per tank, making each full tank last long enough for your trip. The toilet has a 5.5-gallon capacity that does not need frequent emptying.
Like most other top portable camping toilets, the Thetford 92360 porta potty is lightweight and has a small build, making it suitable for use in your RV, van, boat, or any other place where you need a portable toilet. It is easy to maintain, and it is quite affordable.
- It is lightweight and small, making it easy to transport.
- Its modern design gives it a homelike look.
- This toilet has an impressive 4-gallon water capacity.
- It is easy to clean and use.
- The sealed valve prevents odors from leaking out.
- This toilet has a 5.5-gallon capacity, making it usable for a long time before the need to empty it.
- The height of the toilet does not make it very suitable for tall people.
- Some users have raised concerns about the flushing mechanism.
The Thetford 92360 Porta Potti has a toilet roll holder, which is hidden and can be removed for use. This makes the toilet look tidy, clean, and organized. It can be flushed using a battery-powered control, making it more convenient to use than other portable toilets.
4. Palm Springs Outdoor 5 Gal Portable Toilet
If you are looking for a portable toilet with a sleek design while still being highly functional, the Palm Springs Outdoor portable toilet would be a great choice for you. A latch is used to separate the leak-proof water-holding tank and the waste tank. The fresh water tank has a capacity of 3 gallons while the waste tank can accommodate 5 gallons.
This toilet has a light and sturdy build as well as an integrated handle, making it easy to move around. The small size also makes it fit well into your van or truck. The impressive capacity and sturdy build of this toilet make it one of the best portable toilets you will find in the market today. The toilet flushes like any conventional toilet and gives you the feel of using a real one.
- The waste tank and water tank are both leak-proof.
- The sturdy and sleek design make it a popular choice among users.
- This toilet flushes like most conventional toilets.
- It is compact and lightweight, making it easy to transport.
- It has an impressive 5-gallon waste capacity that extends the time before the need for disposal.
- It is easy to use and clean.
- The latch that holds the two tanks lets go too easily sometimes.
- Some users have complained about the flush pull lever being difficult to use.
- The water jet is near the rim, making the toilet require multiple flushes sometimes.
The Palm Springs Outdoor toilet gives you the option of using waste bags to collect the waste before disposal. You can also use it without waste bags. You can use this toilet straight out of the box as it comes assembled already.
5. Flexzion Portable Camping Toilet
A good portable toilet adds to the overall camping experience you get because it eliminates any inconvenience in passing waste. The Flexzion Portable camping toilet is as good as any in terms of sanitation and convenience. It’s sturdy and lightweight polyethylene build, and the built-in handle improves its portability. It has a 3-gallon water tank that is locked to the toilet with two latches. The detachable tank makes the toilet easy to clean.
The capacity of the waste tank is 5 gallons, so you do not have to empty it often. The load limit of this toilet is pretty high at 440 lbs, so virtually anyone can use it comfortably. The toilet has a pedestal design, which means a pedestal can be added to make it a little higher, though the pedestal is not included. Suffice to say, the Flexzion Portable camping toilet is one of the best toilets for camping today.
- It has a lightweight and sturdy build, making a great portable toilet choice.
- The detachable tank makes cleaning very convenient.
- It has a load limit of 440 lbs, which is very decent.
- The pedestal design makes it comfortable even for tall people.
- It comes with a user manual, making it easy to use.
- This toilet is durable, so you do not have to worry about replacing it for a while.
- Some users have complained about the drain plug getting damaged after a few months of use.
- Some users have issues with the positioning of the handle.
The Flexzion Portable Camping toilet uses a convenient bellow-type flush, making flushing fairly easy and comfortable. The waste tank of this toilet has a sealing valve that locks in unpleasant odors while also preventing leakage.
6. Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Complete Portable Toilet
Cleanwaste is one of the most reputable portable toilet brands with a number of top quality toilets in the market today. If you are looking to pass out waste outside without compromising your privacy, this is the toilet for you. The private shelter included in the package completes the whole system. Everything packs neatly into a backpack, making it one of the best portable toilets around. This toilet offers you a relaxing experience even when passing waste outdoors.
The system can easily be set up by one person, and when up, it can serve as a restroom or a shower. This toilet may seem a bit pricey, but when you consider its features, you will realize it offers you good value for the money spent. The toilet has an impressive weight limit of 500 lbs, making it usable by virtually everyone.
- At just 18 lbs, the whole system is lightweight and pretty easy and comfortable to transport.
- The shelter provides cover when you are using the toilet.
- The toilet system is easy to set up and use.
- The shelter is rainproof, so you can use it even when it is raining outside.
- This toilet has a cool and sturdy design.
- This toilet offers you a relaxing experience, unlike most other portable toilets.
- This toilet system is a bit on the pricey side, although it is understandable considering its features.
- Some users have issues with its cheap-looking plastic material.
The Cleanwaste Go Anywhere Complete portable toilet system is very different from the competition because of the shelter included in the price. The shelter offers you privacy and is easy to pack and unpack. A special powder is added to the biodegradable sack that collects the waste. This powder turns the liquid waste into solid forms for easy disposal.
7. Earthtec ETEC Non-Stick Sanitary Portable Toilet
The Earthtec toilet is a great choice for a portable toilet. It has a sturdy and sleek design and has a decent height. The toilet seat is wide, making it a comfortable toilet to use. The airtight 5-gallon capacity tank means you can flush it about 50 times before you need to empty it. Its freshwater tank also has an impressive 2.8-gallon capacity.
This toilet supports a load of up to 440 lbs, making it suitable for the general population. The lightweight and compact build of this toilet make transportation convenient. This toilet does not give off any odor and does not leak. It comes a bit pricey, though this should not be a deal-breaker as it is one of the best toilets for camping today.
- Its convenient seat and decent height make it a comfortable toilet for anyone.
- This toilet is easy to use and empty.
- The 5-gallon capacity waste tank means you do not have to empty it constantly.
- This toilet does not give off any unpleasant odor.
- The compact and lightweight build makes it easily transportable.
- The bowl is not stained easily.
- The bowl is smaller than other portable toilets in the market.
- Some users have reported leaks in their units.
- This toilet is on the pricey side.
The Earthtec ETEC Non-Stick Sanitary toilet has a holding tank with a discharge tube swinging out. You can dispose of the waste from the discharge tube, reducing the risk of a splash. Nano-technology is used in making the toilet bowl. It greatly reduces friction on the surface of the bowl, making it difficult for dirt to stick to it.
How do Portable Toilets Work?
Portable toilets are explicitly designed to provide a solution when you are in a place where you do not have access to the standard toilet. They are built to be easily transportable. They are useful on RVs, boats, campsites, and any other place outside your home. One person can easily transport most models, and they are easy to set up, too.
These types of toilets do not use a plumbing system like the toilets you find in most homes because of the need to transport them. Instead, they provide a means for you to pass out waste on the go, and you can empty them later. Some people may cringe at the idea of keeping waste for a while before disposing of it, but these toilets are constructed to prevent leak or unpleasant odors.
What to Look Out For When Buying a Portable Toilet?
Portable toilets do not have many functions because of the need for them to be small and portable, so, you do not have a lot of complex things to consider. Having said that, it is not enough to just select the first one you see. Here are some things you should consider when buying a porta-potty.
1. Waste Disposal Process
Before going for a portable toilet, it is important that you take a look at its waste disposal process. You need to choose a toilet with a disposal system you are most comfortable with because you are going to be handling the waste disposal yourself.
Some portable toilets use a water flushing system while others use a biodegradable sack that can be easily disposed of. Make sure you select the toilet with the option that you are most comfortable with.
The capacity of a porta potty determines how many people can use it and how long it will take before it gets full. If you have a small family and you do not plan to stay out for a long time, you can go for a toilet with a small volume. If not, you should select one with a larger capacity.
You should take note that the volume of your porta potty will also determine how frequently you will need to empty it. Pay close attention to the volume before buying one.
While manufacturers have made their toilets usable for the majority of the population, they may still not be perfect for you. If you are way above average in height or weight, it is advisable that you pay attention to the size of the toilet you are getting as well as how much weight it can withstand. Your body weight can affect the size of the toilet you should get.
The size of the toilet plays a big role in how comfortable you will be when using it. Make sure, therefore, that the toilet you are getting fits your needs.
4. Ease of Use
No one wants to go through much stress to set up or use a portable toilet. Toilets are meant to offer you relief, so it is not smart to go for one that will be a lot of work to use. Find out what is easiest to use, and you will see how pleasant passing waste can be even in the outdoors. Always take into consideration how easy it is to use and clean the toilet you are getting.
Privacy is easily overlooked when you talk about portable toilets. Most toilets do not offer anything in terms of privacy. So, you would have to hope that no one is nearby when you are using it. A toilet that offers you privacy gives you a more convenient experience than one that does not.
If privacy is an important factor for you (for example, when are you planning on using it during a multi-day music festival), take a look at the ones that offer you the option.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Although using a portable toilet is easy, people who are just getting their first unit may have some questions about it. Some questions that come up often among users are the following.
Q. How can I maintain my porta potty?
A. If you want to use your toilet for as long as possible, it is essential that you take good care of it. Let us look at a few tips that will help you keep your toilet for a long time:
- Close the toilet lid when you are not using it.
- Get chemicals that can break the solid waste into smaller particles.
- Wash the toilet every time you empty it.
- Make sure you dispose of the waste before it gets too full.
- Handle the toilet carefully during the transportation process.
- Get proper biodegradable bags for toilets that use bags.
- If yours uses water, ensure you flush after every use.
Q. What are the benefits of using a portable toilet?
A. Apart from the obvious advantage of portability, portable toilets also have some other advantages that have drawn users to them. Some of these advantages include the following.
- Portable toilets are easy to use. They generally come in small sizes and do not have overly complicated features, so it is pretty easy to get one and use it right away.
- Porta potties are hygienic. When you are away from home, getting a good substitute for the comfort of your bathroom is difficult. Although it will not replicate the experience, they are as close as you can get when you are surrounded by wildlife.
- They are affordable. They offer you cheaper alternatives to the standard toilets. There are other toilet types that can be easily transported such as composting toilets but portable toilets offer you the best deal when it comes to toilets for camping.
- The waste from a portable toilet can be used as compost for farms. If you own a piece of farmland and you have a toilet, you will have a great source of compost.
Q. What are the common problems with portable toilets?
A. Although portable toilets are quite reliable, here are some problems that users sometimes encounter.
- Stability: Stability is one issue that some portable toilet users have had. This problem is mainly caused by corroded components or the brackets used by the toilet. You can get corrosion-proof brackets that will help you deal with this issue.
- Odors: Unpleasant odor is something that has been a source of worry for some users. This problem, however, usually comes from low-quality portable toilets. A good porta potty is built to prevent odor from leaking out. There are chemicals that you can use to deal with the unpleasant odor, too. Any of the ones reviewed here will do a great job.
Although it is overlooked sometimes, a portable toilet is an essential part of a camping trip. It will not perfectly equate the experience you get in your bathroom, but it can give you a close enough feel when you are a thousand miles away from home.
Going into the bushes to pass out waste exposes you to the risk of encountering dangerous wildlife.
You can save yourself this trouble by packing a portable toilet for your next trip. It is affordable and easy to carry, so you will not have any issues with transportation at all.
Besides the top 7 lists above, there are a lot of different portable toilets in the market today, so check the features they offer and choose one that is a good fit for you.