More people are seeking appliances that can make their cooking tasks easy, time-saving, and fun, hence the increase in the demand for instant pot and rice cooker.
Instant Pot vs Rice Cooker? What do they do? How valuable are they in the modern kitchen? What differentiates them?
These are the questions we seek to answer in this article so you can decide on the one that will meet your needs effectively.
Insights from our market research show that Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker is a favorite because of the smart programs embedded in it.
The Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker is a pacesetter for rice cookers thanks to its MICOM technology.
Read on to know about other brands of the instant pot and rice cookers that will help you prepare healthy and nutritious meals daily.
Similar read: Instant Pot Vs Air Fryer: Which Should You Buy?
What is Instant Pot?
An instant pot operates like a pressure cooker or multi-cooker. It makes use of the intense heat produced in a pressure-tight environment to speed up cooking time.
The steam produced under a tight seal makes a variety of meals without stress.
The instant pot has served as a replacement for many appliances used in the kitchen because of the function it performs.
Whether you want to make yogurt at home, boil an egg, bake your cake, cook your rice, or slow-cook your stew, instant pot has got you covered.
Also, the built-in safety features on an instant pot make your cooking time worry-free.
An educative read: Can an Instant Pot Explode?
|Instant Pot Duo 7 Pressure Cooker||Check Price||6 Quart||1000 Watts|
|Instant Pot Lux 6 Pressure Cooker||Check Price||6 Quart||1200 Watts|
|Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid with Roast||Check Price||6 Quart||1000 Watts|
1. Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Instant pot Duo allows you to create nutritious and delicious meals easily and conveniently because of its versatility. This 7-in-1 appliance uses 3G technology microprocessor to control the settings in an automated manner.
Owing to the 14 one-touch smart programs, you will continuously churn out delicacies after delicacies without stressing yourself.
With the 10+ built-in safety features, cooking time becomes safe, dependable, and convenient.
- The 3G microprocessor adjusts the heating duration and intensity while monitoring time and temperature
- Use of fingerprint-resistant stainless-steel lid and other components that are easy to clean
- Uses 70% less energy, yet still speeds up cooking time
- The multi-function role it performs makes it displace seven kitchen appliances at the same time
- UL certified
- Poor customer support
- Several users complained of receiving defective products
The 3-ply bottom stainless steel inner pot in Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker has a non-stick coating.
The lid holders with slim body designs are convenient for right and left-handed users.
You enjoy lots of recipes from the instant pot app, whether you are on iOS or Android.
2. Instant Pot Lux 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
The instant pot lux 6-in-1 is a smart device that speeds up your cooking time in the kitchen. It is energy-efficient and allows you to prepare tasty meals without compromising on safety.
Having 12 smart in-built programs allows you to try out different recipes with different cooking methods.
You need not spend the whole day in the kitchen with the 24 hours delay start, three temperatures in sautéing, slow cook feature, and an automatic 10 hours ‘Keep Warm’ function.
A unique feature of the 6-in-1 smart device is its programming, which remembers the last setting you used when cooking.
- The adjustable temperature settings (less, normal, and more) in sauté and slow cooking allows you sear, simmer, or thicken your food, thereby enhancing flexibility in the kitchen
- Assurance of healthy meals always considering the stainless-steel cooking pot, steam rack, and lid (food grade 304. There is no chemical coating on these
- The exterior has a large display panel that simplifies the operating process
- Use of 10 safety mechanisms, such as the leaky lid detector, to protect you from hazards which may occur
- UL and ULC certified
- Customer support is not helpful when there are issues with the product
- The floating valve always falls off releasing steam, which is not safe
When you buy your instant pot Lux 6-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, you get soup spoon, steam rack with handles, rice paddle, condensation collector, and measuring cup alongside your favorite Alexa Skill App, which houses exclusive recipes and a cooking guide.
3. Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid with Roast
The Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid is designed to inject new vibes into your kitchen while improving your cooking skills.
It is an innovation that adds value to the existing instant pot since you can combine different cooking methods to cook fast using pressure cooking and air frying to finish up and get a great result.
With the bright display on the control panel and six preset smart programs, you can set up your cooking modes and also modify it to get a delicious result.
- A combination of air frying and pressure-cooking saves time and energy when preparing healthy meals
- Use of EvenCrisp technology to give your meat, chicken wings, and French fries a crispy finish while maintaining their tender taste
- The smart program provides a convenient and versatile way of cooking that helps you become a professional chef overnight
- Ease of cleaning since the surface of the lid is sleek. Simply wipe with a damp cloth
- The protective pad at the bottom allows for safe storage on your countertop
- Limits you to cooking in batches
- Longer cooking time due to the need to pre-heat it
Since the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid with Roast uses 95% less oil when compared to deep frying, it makes your meal tastier and healthier.
You can also use it for broiling, baking, dehydrating, and roasting.
What is a Rice Cooker?
A rice cooker is an electronic automated kitchen appliance used for cooking rice with little or minimal supervision.
The thermostat control, heating element, and non-stick inner bowl make it easy to use, especially for cooking large quantities of rice.
With an automated process, all you need do is measure out your rice, put in a predetermined quantity of water, and turn on the device.
Within 30 minutes, the rice cooker would heat the mixture until the rice absorbs the water, and then it will switch to warm until you are ready to eat.
Well, you can also use your rice cooker as an electric steamer for other foods since some have steamer tray in them.
An interesting read: The 7 Best Ovens for Baking Cakes of 2020
|Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5 Rice Cooker||Check Price||5.5 Cup||680 Watts|
|Aroma Housewares 8-Cup (Cooked)||Check Price||4 Cup||450 Watts|
|Tiger JNP-S10U-HU Rice Cooker||Check Price||5.5 Cup||560 Watts|
1. Zojirushi NS-ZCC10 5-1/2-Cup Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker
Given the heightened attention required to cook rice to perfection, finding an alternative that will not require your full attention is worth trying out.
The Neuro-fuzzy rice cooker from Zojirushi (Japan) uses the MICOM technology that controls and adjusts cooking temperature and heating time, depending on the type of rice you are cooking by thinking for you.
You can cook 10 cups of cooked rice in this rice cooker and warmer considering that it has other cooking functions such as porridge, mixed rice, semi-brown, white rice, sweet, brown, quick-cooking, and rinse-free modes.
- Use of micro computerized advanced neuro-fuzzy logic technology to think for you
- Presence of a programmable melody or beep audio indicator
- The large and well-arranged display of the functions on the LCD panels make it easy to read
- Extra accessories (2 measuring cups, non-stick rice scooper, and scooper holder) makes the cooking process more effective
- Use of a spherical-shaped inner cooking pan in the heating system promotes even heating for your rice
- Expensive replacement parts
- The inner non-stick pot scratches even when you use the rice scooper in the package
The neuro-fuzzy rice cooker has an automatic keep warm, extended keep warm, reheating cycle, and a delay timer with two settings as part of its menu selection.
The fold-down handle of the cooker makes it easy to carry around when on a road trip and a detachable inner lid for easy cleaning.
2. Aroma Housewares 8-Cup (Cooked)
If you desire a low-priced rice cooker among the models in the instant pot rice cooker review, Aroma houseware is it.
It may be cheap, but it is a quality product with automated settings that is versatile, great for small families, and perfect for busy people.
With easy-to-use digital controls as well as brown rice and white rice function and automatic-keep warm function, you can also cook your oatmeal and soups, among other meals.
- A quick rice function reduces cooking time by 50% while the slow cook function slows the cooking process
- Addition of a steam tray to steam vegetables and meat healthily, while your rice cooks underneath simultaneously
- The 15-hour delay timer and keep warm function help keep your food warm until you need it
- An exceptional ability to sauté or brown your food before switching to simmer when liquid is added
- An aluminum cooking pot covered in non-stick coating for easy washing
- A lot of users complained of getting defective products that worked for only a few times
- Brown rice cooks for much longer time
For large families, you can upgrade to the Aroma rice cooker with 10-cup uncooked rice capacity, if this 4-cup capacity is not enough.
Although the Aroma Digital Rice Cooker will switch to warm after cooking, it is best to eat the rice once ready.
This will prevent it from drying out if left on the warm setting for long.
Check out: The 7 Best Hot Plates of 2020
3. Tiger JNP-S10U-HU 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker
Tiger JNP has continued to maintain the standard it set for itself since 1923 to deliver quality cooking appliances to a large number of households.
Thanks to their vacuum insulation technology, their rice cooker is a high-quality product in the market.
The versatile capacity of this Made in Japan rice cooker, the removable, washable steam vent and removable dew collector combine to make it a valuable addition to your kitchen.
- The keep-warm function will serve you for up to 12 hours
- It has an easy-to-use single button
- Use of a non-stick inner pan with user-controlled release system for easy serving and cleaning
- The retractable cord and handle make storing it very easy
- Rice measuring cup and spatula included in the package
- Poor quality checks
- Inner pot coating peels off with few uses
Tiger JNP-S10U-HU 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker is practical, convenient, and functional, allowing you to cook your rice within a short time.
Comparison Between Instant Pot Vs Rice Cooker
Before making a buying decision, it is best to check out the differences between the instant pot and rice cooker.
Before purchasing any kitchen appliance, you must carry out a safety check to keep yourself and your family safe during meal preparation.
Given that the instant pot is a pressure cooker, it has in-built safety features.
Also, it comes with a steam release valve to let out hot steam before opening and a tight seal that prevents steam from escaping during cooking.
Well, rice cookers do not have such since they do not use pressure-building technology to cook meals.
In this instance, you need to wait a few minutes before opening the lid after the rice is fully cooked to prevent accidents.
Differences in pressure
The instant pot vs rice cooker research has shown that there is a difference with respect to how they both use pressure to cook rice.
The instant pot uses water to generate steam at a high-pressure to cook rice and other foods within a short time.
Rice cookers, on the other hand, makes use of the traditional boiling method to cook rice with little pressure until it is soft. It, however, takes more time.
Rice cooker, like the name implies, is for cooking rice alone. However, some new models have an extra mode for food steaming and slow cooking.
Conversely, the instant pot is a multi-cooker with 6, 7, 8, 9, 10+ cooking functions, which makes it unnecessary to have other standalone appliances in the kitchen. Get your cooking ingredients, press a button, and your meal is ready!
Kitchen appliances have to be easy to clean to maintain the best hygiene practices and prevent food poisoning.
The internal parts of rice cookers use non-stick coatings, making it easy to clean. Nonetheless, a major issue is that they are not detachable.
You have to be tactical and patient to ensure you clean all parts thoroughly before storing it or using it for the next meal.
Since instant pots are stainless steel and the parts are detachable, they are easier to clean and are also dishwasher safe.
From instant pot vs rice cooker review, we can tell that the function, size, and brand will be the key determinants of the cost.
So, instant pot will cost more because of the varied role it plays in the kitchen; if you have between $70-$200, you will get a good-sized instant pot that will suit your needs.
Well, since your rice cooker is performing a single function, you need not spend much to get one. With $20-$40, you will get a quality brand rice cooker that will give you value for money spent.
Note: The big-sized ones will cost you more!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Does instant pot help hasten the cooking process?
A. Considering the pressure-cooking technique, fast cooking is guaranteed because it uses high temperatures in a tightly sealed environment to do the cooking, thus reducing the cooking time.
Your chicken, pork, etc. that might take up to 3-4 hours to be properly cooked in an oven will be ready within 120 minutes.
Q. Are food cooked in instant pot safe for consumption?
A. Yes, they are safe! The instant pot uses pressure cooking, which reduces cooking time, thereby helping to preserve the nutrients in meals by preventing overcooking.
During the cooking process, the sealed lid keeps the aroma of the meal from getting out and overheating the kitchen.
Q. What are the processes of using a rice cooker?
A. The process of cooking with the rice cooker is straightforward.
- Measure your rice and add into the inner bowl
- Add water into the bowl and close the lid
- Activate the settings for the cooking cycle to start
- The steam gets released before opening the lid
The measuring bowl for white rice, brown rice, and other foods differ. They are included in the package when you make a purchase.
Q. What are the essential features of a rice cooker?
A. When you want to select your brand of rice cookers, there are some essential features you should ensure they have so you can maximize it.
Your rice cooker should have a timer function to help you prepare rice ahead, an audible beeper as an alarm, and easy to use settings for cooking different types of rice.
It is best to invest in a quality brand that uses durable, non-stick inner bowls to get value and be able to use it for long.
Read also: The 7 Best Sauté Pan of 2020
So instant pot or rice cooker?
Carrying out an instant pot rice cooker review helps a lot when deciding on the one that is most important in the kitchen at a point.
This article is not to tell you which one is better than the other but to help you weigh your options.
You can do a critical analysis of each product and make your decision based on which will serve you best, putting the hours you spend in the kitchen into consideration and your favorite meals.
Go ahead and pick the appliance that has features that will serve you best!