With the myriad of appliances available in the market for use in the kitchen, you have to consider the value they are adding to your kitchen concerning health and taste.
Instant pot and Air Fryer are two distinct appliances that have become quite common in many kitchens even though they rely on different techniques of cooking diverse meals.
Depending on your cooking convenience and requirements, you might want to take a good look at the exact functions of each to know which one will serve you best.
This article compares Instant pot Vs. Air fryer to provide an in-depth analysis of the exact functions, pros, and cons of having either one as part of the time and energy-saving appliances in your kitchen.
In any case, Instant Pot Air Fryer + EPC Combo 8QT Electronic Pressure Cooker is popular with most users who prefer instant pots because of its 11-in-1 function. On the other hand, Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer is a favorite among air fryer lovers due to its large capacity.
Have a pleasurable reading time finding from our Instant Pot Vs. Air Fryer comparison journey!
Similar read: Instant Pot Vs Rice Cooker
What is an Instant Pot?
The instant pot is a versatile and modern pressure cooker design that utilizes broth or water to create steam and build up pressure within the cooking pot.
It is the hot steam forced into the food that cooks it on high or low speed to retain the taste and nutrients depending on the setting.
Instant pots are built with a setting for cake-making, desserts, cooking eggs, and can also serve as a sauté pot, thus allowing you to stir-dry food with minimal oil. It also has a sous-vide function.
Manufactured by the famous Instant Pot (IP) brand, this appliance is available in different models and come with diverse functions such that it can conveniently replace other appliances you might have been using in your kitchen considering the many cooking options available.
It can conveniently replace the following appliances: Rice cooker, sauté pot, yogurt maker, pressure cooker, slow cooker, etc., thereby saving you from spending so much to acquire various appliances in the kitchen.
|Instant Pot Air Fryer 8QT Pressure Cooker||Check Price||8 Quart||1,500 watts|
|Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Pressure||Check Price||8 Quart||1,200 watts|
|Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid with Roast||Check Price||6 Quart||1000 watts|
Let’s see some products and how they perform before comparing an Instant Pot with an Air fryer. Below are some selected choices based on user reviews to help us describe how these appliances work as well as the things to watch out for before making that final purchasing choice.
1. Instant Pot Air Fryer 8QT Electronic Pressure Cooker
An innovative instant pot that serves as a pressure cooker and an air fryer with the ability to perform an 11-in-1 function.
You can avail yourself the pleasure of cooking different meals using the pressure cooking lid to sauté, slow cook, steam, warm, sous vide, and pressure cook for wet cooking. On the other hand, you can also utilize the air fryer lid to roast, bake, dehydrate, broil, and air fry for crispy cooking as you desire.
Having a smart program feature with easy to use controls, bright displays, and easy to read icons has simplified the selection process when cooking.
- Innovative EvenCrisp technology keeps your meal juicy, tender, and crunchy with a crispy golden finish
- The one-touch cooking program enables you to cook on autopilot while processing your meals faster thanks to the 1500W heating element
- Presence of 10+ built-in safety features for advanced safety to prevent injuries
- The dishwasher safe stainless-steel instant pot is BPA/PFOA/PTFE-free, thus, making meals prepared in it healthy for consumption
- Use of multi-level air fryer basket with broiling and dehydrating tray promotes optimal air
- Poor or no customer service when you have issues
- It might take you a bit of time to master the different functions and cooking processes, especially if you have not used a pressure cooker before. Always consult the manual for guidance
Instant Pot Air Fryer + EPC Combo 8QT Electronic Pressure Cooker will save you space on your countertop, given its fantastic versatility.
2. Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure
If you require an instant pot that has a sealed cooking chamber which traps in all the aroma in your food, the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure appliance is an excellent option among the instant pot air fryers out there.
Built with 3G technology, its microprocessor monitors temperature, pressure, and smartly adjusts the duration and heating intensity to give you the perfect meals you desire.
Having combined the function of seven kitchen appliances with 70% faster cooking time, you are guaranteed to reduce the time spent in the kitchen.
- Presence of 10 safety mechanisms that meet UL, CE, and ULC certification standards for utmost safety alongside patented technologies
- The use of a large control panel with 14 in-built smart programs, automatic keep-warm, dual pressure, and different temperature settings for the slow cook and sauté options
- You can enjoy delayed cooking of up to 24 hours with a manual setting of 4hrs cooking time giving you the time to engage with other tasks
- Use of durable 3-ply stainless steel bottom for the inner pot makes it healthy, durable, and dishwasher-friendly
- Availability in 3-QT, 6-QT, and 8-QT technologies allows you to maximize the largest size for a family of 8 or any of the other sizes for batch cooking
- Poor quality control leading to receiving products that are defective on delivery
- Poor or no customer service when you have issues
With the instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure, you can try out lots of new recipes since you are not limited by time.
Check out: The 7 Best Thin Waffle Maker of 2020
3. Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid with Roast
Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid is a fantastic innovation that you can use with your 6-quart instant pot multi-use pressure cooker models.
Thanks to the one-touch preset cooking program and EvenCrisp technology, you will have access to a whole world of crispy and crunchy meals.
The thrill of a healthy and tasty meal is second to none, considering that it uses 95% less oil, unlike deep frying.
- A versatile appliance for air frying, baking, roasting, dehydrating, and broiling
- Presence of advanced safety features such as automatic shutoff and overheat protection, etc
- The detachable air fryer lid is easy to use given to the simple controls
- It can act as a multi-step cooking processor for some kinds of food
- A time-saving appliance that allows you to cook healthy meals with less energy
- Limited to making your food in batches with the small size
- You can’t use the instant pot base and the air fryer lid at the same time
- It is not compatible with ceramic inserts
The instant Pot Air Fryer Lid package contains a multi-level air fryer basket, broiling, and dehydrating tray alongside a protective pad for countertop use and storage cover.
What is an Air Fryer?
Merely looking at the name, you will discover it is an appliance that utilizes hot air with a minimal amount of oil to cook food.
They are a healthy alternative to deep fryer appliances that uses a lot of oil and is not healthy for the body.
So, what you get with cooking with an air fryer is food with a crispy texture and less mess.
It comes with a special basket under the heating element for placing food. A fan releases hot air, which gets circulated, thereby cooking the food, making it faster with minimal drying.
Also, your air fryer can serve different purposes in the kitchen as the instant pot can. Some of these functions include baking, grilling, roasting, and frying.
Thus, making it is a must-have in your kitchen to make crispy and delicious meals.
|Cuisinart TOA-60 Air Fryer||Check Price||17 Quart||1800 Watts|
|Ninja Air Fryer (AF101), 4 Quart||Check Price||4 Quart||1500 Watts|
|GoWISE USA GW22731 1700 Air Fryer||Check Price||5.8 Quart||1350 Watts|
Below are some users-choice-selected instant pots to aid us in describing how these appliances work as well as the things to watch out for before making that final purchasing choice.
1. Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer
Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer is an easy and quick appliance for cooking healthy dishes that allow you to savor the good life.
It is a full-size toaster oven with an in-built air fryer that can toast, bake, convection broil, broil, convection bake, and air fry.
If you love crunchy meals devoid of calories and don’t like the hassles of cleaning up, this is a favorite among the air fryer models.
A great option to cook your shrimps, fries, or wings for that golden-brown look and crispy taste.
- The large capacity makes it suitable for air frying 3 lbs. of chicken wings or toast six slices of bread
- Use of an adjustable thermostat with a 60-minute timer, toast shade selector-timer, and auto-shutoff for ease of control
- Presence of oven light in a 0.6 cubic foot non-stick interior that promotes easy cleaning
- It is available in 4 colors to match your kitchen decor
- Poor quality control issues in terms of product parts
- The oven time knob does not last
The key to getting the best out of your Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer is to follow the instruction on the temperature settings of each cooking method properly.
It will save your food from burning.
2. Ninja Air Fryer (AF101), 4 Quart
With the Ninja air fryer, you can cook your favorite meals with hot air that circulates evenly to give you a fast, golden, and crispy finish.
It features a smart processor with a wide range of temperature and a fan that adjusts speed automatically, depending on the cooking function.
This 4-quart ceramic-coated basket uses little or no oil to cook and makes your French fries turn out crispy, thus promoting healthy eating.
- The wide temperature range promotes versatility (baking, roasting, dehydrating, air frying, and reheating)
- The dehydration function makes it easy to create dehydrated homemade snacks in a fun way
- The pre-programmed settings of the electric control make it easy to use
- The non-stick ceramic grill and basket has a coating that is durable, scratch-resistant, and safe for consumption
- It can be on the countertop since it does not vent air through the bottom while cooking but ensures the sides are well-ventilated
- Makes loud noise when in use
- Most users complained of strong toxic rubber smell
The 4-quart capacity of the Ninja Air Fryer is ideal for a family of 3-5, if you want to cook for a larger gathering, it will take your time.
Overall, it will be a great addition to your kitchen.
3. GoWISE USA GW22731 1700-Watt 5.8-QT Air Fryer
GoWISE Air Fryer uses the Rapid Air Circulation Technology that promotes the circulation of heat around ingredients and thus cooks your favorite food or snacks within few minutes.
You can enjoy more comfortable and healthier cooking in this all-in-one appliance ideal for baking, grilling, roasting, and frying with little or no oil.
With the sleek and modern look of the 5.8 -QT model featuring an advanced touch screen menu with 8 cooking presets, your kitchen is set for a great cooking streak.
- Presence of a new start/stop button that allows you to change temperature and time during a cooking cycle
- Wide temperature range and cooking timers make it easy to cook different foods
- Availability of a non-stick FDA-certified and PFOA free pan and detachable basket with a button guard and cool-touch handle for accident prevention
- Enjoy 3-day money-back guarantee and 1-year warranty with additional 60-day warranty coverage on registered products
- It has an in-built alarm system that serves as a reminder to shake your ingredients intermittently
- The basket detaches from the bottom pan which is a dangerous situation for hot food
- Poor quality control on products sent to customers
Even though some users complained of the inner coating of the GoWISE Air Fryer chipping off, further reviews have shown it is due to scrubbing and non-use of liners to make cleaning easy.
When you use it the right way, you won’t have issues with such.
Comparison Between Instant Pot Vs. Air Fryer?
Having described the instant pot and air fryer, there is a need to look at what differentiates them from one another critically.
The significant difference is seen in the method or way of cooking.
Whereas instant pot is a sort of multicooker that uses the pressure cooker technology to cook efficiently and faster, an air fryer uses hot air that circulates evenly with little or no oil to cook food to a crispy texture.
When using an instant pot, you do not consume as much electricity compared to using an air fryer.
Most instant pots have extensive features that allow you to prepare different types of food than you will with an air fryer.
The main job of the air fryer is frying food while, on the other hand, you use the instant pot for cooking rice, yogurt, cheesecake, soups, etc.
Food prepared in an air fryer gets ready faster since they are mostly light meals. While instant pots are also fast, you must get the right timing of the type of food you are preparing for it to be well prepared.
The instant pot is made with technology and materials that allow them to withstand the cooking conditions. They are durable products. The bottom part of the air fryer holding the basket, conversely, gets easily damaged. They are a work-in-progress to make them more durable.
For every electrical kitchen appliance, you need to pay attention to the safety mechanism put in place against overheating, accidents, and the likes.
Instant pots have an in-built safety mechanism to prevent hot pressure from getting out. Air fryers still need more work done on safety mechanisms, given the common complaints about melted plastic smells, smoke, and others.
The price of the instant pot is relative to the myriad of functions it performs when compared to the air fryer.
Considering their price range, spending on an appliance that will give you more value will be a cheaper option. In other words, the function you want will determine the price. Note, however, that instant pots can be more expensive.
Choice of Recipes
If you are using an instant pot, you’ll have access to thousands of recipes to try out for your cooking pleasure. When you purchase your instant pot, you get a recipe book or mobile app to help you out, unlike the air fryer, which is yet to have many recipes. In summary, the air fryer is limited as far as the kind of food it can prepare is concerned.
Ease of Use
Whereas it takes a while to get familiar with using the dials on an instant pot, air fryers are easy to understand since the dials are not many, yet mainly automatic or pre-programmed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Is your instant pot safe to use?
A. Like every other electrical kitchen appliance, you may have concerns about the safety level, considering that it works like a pressure cooker.
Instant pots are safe and easy to use with the lid locking, temperature controls, automatic pressure control, overheat protection, and shutoff fuses mechanisms built in them, among others.
They have ten or more UL certifications to ensure they meet the approved standard for safety.
Q. Is oil necessary in an air fryer?
A. Yes! But a tablespoon is enough to achieve your desired level of frying. This is why air fryer is a leader in the promotion of healthy living since you are doing away with more fat in your meals.
You can also use air fryer without adding oil; all you need do is shake the ingredients from time to time to prevent them from sticking together.
Q. What type of food do you cook with an air fryer?
A. You can make the following meals using your air fryer as baked, grilled, roast, fried and air fried food:
- Roasted nuts
- Fried chicken
- Potato chips
- Fried fish
- French fries
- Chicken wings
Read also: How to Reheat Rotisserie Chicken?
Q. What type of food do you cook with an instant pot?
A. Given the versatility of instant pots, there are a variety of foods you can cook in it. Some of these are:
- White or brown rice
Well, we have seen that the air fryer vs. instant comparison presents us with facts that separate both items.
These fabulous appliances should be in modern kitchens to replace pressure cookers or frying pans.
Whereas Instant pot has a lot of models that can also serve as a multicooker, you can also use an air fryer to make different meals at different times.
According to Instant Pot Air Fryer reviews, the ease of use and convenience both offers are luxuries you can’t do without these days.
But then, if you have to make a choice, I will advise you to go for an instant pot because of the versatility. Be that as it may, everyone loves food that tastes crispy, fresh, and delicious, and that is what an air fryer produces best.
So, they are both important in their different ways and will help you produce quality meals and crispy food, respectively.
Whichever one you decide to choose is a winner!
Do you think any other thing differentiates Instant Pot Vs. Air Fryer? Let us know in the comments section.
An interesting read: What Are the Different Types of Kitchens?