Bacon Jerky is a favorite snack for many people thanks to the taste, low carb, and nutritional value.
Other variants available are beef jerky, chicken jerky, pork jerky, or turkey jerky. They are all delicious options depending on the recipe used.
With the different recipes and methods available for making Bacon Jerky, you won’t go wrong trying them out until you find one that suits your palate.
Making crunchy and delicious bacon will not take you more than a few hours if you use an oven, dehydrator, or a smoker.
In the end, your Bacon Jerky will be fresh and definitely free from preservatives, unlike the prepackaged ones, which are also expensive!
If you will love to try making Bacon Jerky at home, read till the end, and we’ll show you the step-by-step process involved.
Easy-peasy Recipe for Making Oven-baked/ Dehydrator Bacon Jerky
What are the ingredients required?
- 1 lb. uncured bacon
- 1 cup of sugar
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
What essential tools do you need?
- Cookie sheets
- Aluminum foil
- Oven rack
- Electric or gas oven
- Basting brush
The Preparation Processes
When purchasing your bacon, kindly check the fat content for the lowest – you need to stay healthy always.
If using frozen bacon, leave it out to defrost before marinating it.
You have to turn on your oven and let it heat up to 170F. Going higher than that can get your bacon burnt because it is delicate.
Next, place a cookie sheet with aluminum foil under the oven rack to collect the dripping fat.
Preparing the Marinate
- Place the bacon in a bowl
- Pour in the sugar
- Mix the sugar with the bacon until all the strips are sugar-coated
- Leave-in for 10-15 minutes
- To get the spicy taste, mix in the remaining ingredients, do this: In a separate bowl, patiently mix the honey, sriracha sauce, and a teaspoon of ground black pepper until a nice paste is formed.
Baking Your Bacon
After your bacon has soaked in the sugar for 10-15 minutes:
- Lay the bacon strips on the oven rack slice by slice
- Ensure the edges do not touch each other
- Place the oven rack in the preheated oven above the rack with the cookie sheet
- Leave to bake for 1-1.5 hours depending on the thickness of the bacon strips
- Flip them every half hour so all the parts can have access to the heat from the oven
- Bring the bacon out from the oven and use the basting brush rub in the honey, sriracha, and black pepper mixture on both sides
- Push the bacon tray back into the oven, and bake for two more hours
- Take out when the bacon strips are at your desired texture
- Remove excess moisture, fat, or sauce with a paper towel
For a crunchier taste, you can leave to bake a little longer.
Using the Dehydrator
The dehydrator is used to dehydrate the baked bacon to dry further. You can set it to the highest setting and leave for 2-3 hours till you get your desired dryness.
Don’t forget to flip occasionally.
Well dried, sweet, crispy, spicy, and delicious bacon jerky can be placed in zip-lock bags and stored in the refrigerator for no longer than a week to enjoy the fresh taste.
You can likewise decide to finish all at a sitting – it is simply irresistible!
The Cosori Premium Food Dehydrator Machine is worth considering for your home use.
Easy-peasy Recipe for Making Spicy-smoked Bacon Jerky
If you want your bacon to have a spicy and smoky flavor, you won’t be disappointed after trying out the recipe below.
What are the ingredients needed?
- 1 lb. bacon
- Garlic powder
- Coarse black pepper
- Brown sugar
- Chili powder
What essential tools do you need?
- Meat grinder
- Cookie sheets
- Aluminum foils
- Smoke wood
The preparation processes
- Ensure your bacon is wholly defrosted
- Place the bacon strips on a rack or cookie sheets with a little bit of space between them
- Sprinkle the bacon with black pepper, chili powder, and garlic powder
- Apply a little quantity of brown sugar
- Rub them in gently to aid absorption
- Flip and apply the same to the other side
- Place the bacon rack in the refrigerator for at least an hour
Smoking your bacon
- Set up your smoker with coals to reach a temperature of 190F
- Put in smoke wood
- Remove the bacon rack from the refrigerator and place into the smoker
- Let the fire be far away from the bacon to protect it from burning
- Leave in the smoker for about two hours
- A color change in the bacon jerky shows it is cooking properly
- Check every hour to remove accumulated grease and turn any side cooking faster than the others
- Remove from the smoker when done properly
Take a look: The 10 Best Charcoal Grill Under $200
Baking your bacon
- Preheat the oven to 190F
- Remove excess juice and grease with a paper towel
- Put the bacon rack into the oven
- Leave in for 2-3 hours depending on your desired level of dryness and the thickness of the bacon
- Check every hour to prevent overbaking
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool down on a plate with a paper towel
To enjoy your delicious, smoked, and spicy bacon jerky, its best to remove the grease; then, sit back, relax, and enjoy your fresh, smoky bacon jerky.
If you want to save it for later, it is better to place in a zip-lock bag or use a vacuum bag to keep them fresh, spicy, and smoky.
Store them in your freezer and then defrost at room temperature when needed rather than using a microwave.
With a DIY bacon jerky recipe, you can experiment with the quantity of seasoning you put in to suit your taste and preference by removing or replacing with your desired ingredient.
With consistent trials, you will come up with your perfect recipe for bacon jerky that your friends and loved ones may also like to try out.
When bacon-shopping, look out for lean and regular bacon – they are the best for making bacon jerky anytime.
When next you try out any of these recipes, do share your thoughts in the comment box below!