Outdoor cooking is not complete without having your favorite meatball, lasagna with meat sauce, or hearty beef and beans chili.
It is best to make use of fresh ground beef, turkey, and vegetables to get that delicious field-to-table taste and flavor from it.
Let’s pause here: how do you avoid store-bought ground meat?
Simply buy a manual or hand-crank meat grinder!
But how do you know the right one that will fit the needs of your kitchen?
We have put together results from intensive research looking at the seven best manual meat grinders of 2020 to ensure you pick up a grinder that will serve all your cooking needs.
A top contender among the brands is Norpro Meat Grinder considering the inbuilt safety features, portability, and sturdy construction.
Which other brands are available in the market that can compete and offer these features?
Let’s read on to learn more about them!
An exciting piece: What Are the Different Types of Kitchens?
Best Manual Meat Grinder
|Norpro Meat Grinder||Check Price||Steel & Plastic||1.95 lbs|
|LEM Products Clamp-on Hand Grinder||Check Price||Stainless Steel||7.95 lbs|
|Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder||Check Price||Stainless Steel||2.5 lbs|
|Weston Manual Tinned Meat Grinder||Check Price||Cast Iron||1 lbs|
|Kitchen Basics 3 N 1 Manual Meat Grinder||Check Price||Stainless Steel||1.9 lbs|
|Simple Being Manual Meat Grinder||Check Price||Plastic & Steel||2.1 lbs|
|Chard HG-8 Meat Hand Grinder||Check Price||Cast Iron||4.7 lbs|
1. Norpro Meat Grinder
Norpro, founded in 1973, designs, manufacture, and supplies kitchenware of the highest caliber meant to exceed customers’ expectations.
It has not relented in its effort, thus making its meat grinder a must-have in every kitchen thanks to the high-quality materials and craftsmanship it boasts of.
This innovative meat grinder is ideal for mincing, grinding meat, nuts, beans, vegetable, and pasta.
Also, you will find pasta attachments to make your choice of pasta like Penne, Tagliatelle/Fettuccine, Fusilli/Spiral, Rigatoni, and Spaghetti.
- The versatile function it performs makes it perfect in modern kitchens
- Availability of both coarse and fine-textured mincing plate for making fresh ground beef for burgers, or to grind chicken and turkey
- Use of a suction base and locking key secures it firmly to your workspace or countertop for convenience
- Three stuffing funnels of different sizes and ground cutting knife promotes precision and accuracy
- Easy to assemble, use, and clean
- The 7-inches high with 41/4-inch diameter base is FDA-approved
- An instruction booklet, recipe book, and suction-locking pestle are included in the package
- Most users complained of the plastic hopper cracking in half after a few uses
- The suction box does not hold well on an uneven countertop
- It is not ideal for meat with fat
Having Norpro Meat Grinder in your kitchen saves you from consuming meals made with artificial flavors and the likes.
It is a healthy way to make different fresh homemade meals as you may desire.
Read also: How to Cook Sausage in the Oven?
2. LEM Products #10 Stainless Steel Clamp-on Hand Grinder
The polished stainless-steel construction and clamp-on design of this LEM product make it highly recommended as a meat processing equipment.
This hand grinder enables you to process healthy, delicious sausage and other meat products in an easy and fun way.
It is easy to mount on any table or countertop of 11/4-inches thick because it features a clamp with a wide opening.
The 3/8 inches coarse plate, 3/16 inches fine plate, stainless steel knife, three stuffing tubes of different sizes, and a stuffing star allows you to process your meat into the dimensions that suit the meal you want to prepare.
- You can decide the thickness of your meat with the different choice of plates
- Heavy-duty stainless-steel construction makes it durable, efficient, rust-resistant, and easy to clean
- The steady clamp-on feature makes it easy to use even where space is not much
- The 3”x 4” hopper opening is ideal for making sausage stuffer
- It is an excellent grinder for its price and also easy to assemble and disassemble
- Quality control issues resulting in some users receiving defective parts
- You need to exert lots of energy cranking the handle when grinding a large quantity of meat
- Clearance between auger shaft and the body is significant, making small pieces of meat wrap around the drill and not the cutter head
The old-fashioned easy-to-use design of the LEM Products #10 Stainless Steel Clamp-on Hand Grinder makes it one of the best meat grinders for home use.
Also read: How to Cook Fresh Kielbasa?
3. Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder
Gideon meat grinder is a combination of heavy-duty plastic and stainless steel that processes your meats, vegetables, fruits, or garlic into a fine paste that you can cook with your various meals.
The high-quality stainless-steel blades and screens promote life-long performance and durability.
With the blades fully enclosed, you need not worry about injuries when in use. It also comes with a meat pusher for pushing meat into the grinder to protect your fingers from the feeders as well as a hand crank that is easy to turn.
It is easy to disassemble and move around for outdoor meal preparation with friends and family since it is a compact, portable, and lightweight meat grinder.
- Super-powerful suction cup base keeps the meat grinder in place without the need for adjustment
- Inbuilt safety features provide superb protection for your fingers when grinding your meat and vegetables, making it user-friendly and safe
- Its sturdy construction enhances its durability and efficiency
- Most of the parts are dishwasher safe and easy to clean by wiping with a wet cloth after use
- Great for pureeing your vegetables for sauce or soup
- You get value for the money spent on this product
- It is not recommended for meat with fat and bones
- The suction base does not perform adequately for some users
Our top manual meat grinder review reveals that Gideon Hand Crank Manual Meat Grinder is a favorite for sourcing freshly grounded meat without stressing yourself.
The affordability and simplicity make it an excellent choice for a lot of users who grind little quantity of meat from time to time.
4. Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder and Sausage Stuffer
Made from food-safe tinned cast iron, Weston meat grinder is no doubt a well-built meat grinder.
It allows you to process meat into ground products that are free of additives within a limited time.
Whether you are a gardener, hunter, or food enthusiast who loves field-to-table meals, you will enjoy the thrill of processing your ground meat, burger, and sausages in a simple, quick, and easy way.
Since the meat grinder has durable nylon bearings, plates, and hardened steel, as well as high-grade knives and a cast-iron auger, it will serve you well for a very long time.
- The ergonomically designed crank handle turns without you exerting much effort on it
- Presence of rubber pads to protect work surfaces from damage
- Use of a clamp-on design that attaches easily to countertop of up to 11/2-inch thickness for the required stability when cranking
- Adjustable burrs enable you to control the texture of grind from coarse to fine
- Ease of assembling and disassembling for fast and easy cleaning after each use
- Sausage stuffing kit, spacer, adapter, and three different sizes of funnels are in the package
- Quality control issues with the drill, screens, and blade
- It is not rust-resistant
The Weston #10 Manual Tinned Meat Grinder and Sausage Stuffer is a best-rated manual meat grinder for home kitchen use as you can adjust the amount of fat you want in your sausages to get your desired taste and flavor.
5. Kitchen Basics 3 N 1 Manual Meat and Vegetable Grinder Mincer
The Kitchen Basics 3n1 grinder is a kitchen masterpiece that gives you control over the ingredients you put in your meals, thereby promoting healthy meals always.
Whether you are grinding meat, making pasta, or stuffing your sausages, it is an ergonomic tool that allows you to prepare varieties of meals for each person in your home.
You can easily puree or mince vegetables for your toddler or grind beef, garlic, and beans to make sausages or hamburgers whenever you desire.
With the pasta maker, you can create spaghetti and rigatoni by merely inserting the dough and turning the crank to get your desired strand.
- Fast and easy grinding of vegetables, fruit, meat, and pasta
- Presence of 3-sizes sausage funnel for making sausages
- Use of powerful suction cup to keep the grinder firmly attached to the countertop or table
- Great for making pasta
- Fine mincing plate, coarse mincing plate, and quality sharp stainless-steel blades enhance its efficiency and delivery
- Dishwasher safe, ease of use and cleaning (with warm soapy water)
- It is not recommended for heavy-duty use or commercial grinding
- Possible cracks in the auger piece
- Poor quality control leading to some users getting defective or used products
Kitchen Basics 3n1 Manual Meat and Vegetable Grinder Mincer is a compact and practical choice among the top 7 meat grinders given its versatility and ease of use.
6. Simple Being Manual Meat Grinder Set w/Stainless Steel Blades
Since everyone loves to eat food that is fresh and healthy, using the Simple Being Meat Grinder set will help you achieve that lofty desire without stress.
Thanks to the ease of setting up the meat grinder, you will forever discard store-bought ground meat for freshly made ground meat that is free from additives for preparing your meals.
The extra-strong materials and stainless-steel blades promote durability and ensure your desired texture of grinding from coarse to fine is achievable.
- Use of a sturdy base for stability and firmness during use
- The blades are fully enclosed for safety purposes alongside a meat pusher to keep your fingers off the feeders to prevent injury
- Use of heavy-duty plastics for long-lasting performance whether grinding meat, herbs, or vegetable
- It is compact, lightweight, easy to use, and clean
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Prompt and proactive customer service
- Made in the USA
- Some users have issues with the lever engaging the suction and falling off
- Poor quality control leading to defective parts shipped out to users
Simple Being Manual Meat Grinder Set w/Stainless Steel Blades is ideal for grinding cooked meat, raw meat, and cooked veggies without having issues of clogging.
Considering its portable nature, it doesn’t take up much space in your kitchen, and you will get value for money spent on it.
7. Chard HG-8 Meat Hand Grinder
Since 2009, Chard has been in the business of making food products that help with improving the health and well-being of the family unit.
Using Chard hand meat grinder for meat processing, food preparation, and outdoor cooking is an excellent way of building lasting memories when cooking.
This heavy-duty, tin-coated cast iron construction tool is perfect for making jerky, sausage, or hamburger.
The long-lasting poly handle of the grinder is strong, sturdy, and easily removable by spinning the oversized thumbscrew.
- Use of rubber clamp pads to protect the countertop surface from damage
- The table clamp will attach easily to any countertop of 11/2-inch thickness
- Use of heavy-duty tin-coated construction ensures it lasts for a long time despite the number of uses
- 2 7/16 inches grinding head and ¼ inch grinding plate allows for grinding large portions of meat within a reasonable time
- Easy to disassemble for quick and easy cleaning (with warm soapy water)
- Three sausage stuffing tubes of different sizes and a sausage nozzle adapter that is excellent for making sausages, bratwursts, and links are included in the package
- The cutting blade is not sharp and does rust after a single wash if not dried properly
- For some users, the parts lack precision fit
- It is not strong enough to handle bones
Chard HG-8 Meat Hand Grinder is a great grinder qualified to be among the finest manual meat grinders if the instructions on the type of meat and food items as well as the temperature and size it can handle are strictly adhered to.
The same applies to the installment of the parts and also the cleaning procedure to prevent it from rusting.
What to Consider Before Buying Manual Meat Grinders
Before deciding on the brand of your manual meat grinder, there are some basic features they must possess for you to be able to optimize its functions.
Let’s read on!
To get the best out of your kitchen appliances or tools, they must be of high-quality because of the kind of rigorous use you will subject them to during meal preparation.
For a meat grinder to qualify as the excellent manual meat grinder, it should be of impeccable. This factor will reflect in the brand, model, the quality of material used for it, and overall, the price.
You won’t want to buy a product that will develop issues or come apart when you are prepping meals for dinner or having friends and family over.
You are buying a manual meat grinder because you want a product that is portable and easy to operate whenever you need it.
As such, you should be on the lookout for a product with an uncomplicated design that you can handle quickly and easily.
It should also not take up much space on your countertop or worktable for use or storage purposes.
Your meat grinder should be lightweight, handy, and easy to move around when you need to do some outdoor cooking.
But then it should be sturdy enough to withstand frequent use.
To save on kitchen space, it is best to invest in tools that have versatile functions. There are meat grinders considering their scores in the best manual meat grinder reviews above that can mince and grind different types of meat, vegetables, garlic, or to make sausage links, etc.
Getting any of them will be more efficient and cost-saving than having different tools for different activities.
Considering that grinding plates and other grinding parts of the meat grinder have sharp edges and blades, it is essential to buy products that have inbuilt safety features that will reduce the risk of injuries.
You have to ensure all the grinding parts are user-friendly, and they have meat pushers that can push food in instead of your hands or finger.
To ensure your meat grinder serves you for a very long time, make sure they are made from quality materials.
They should either be made from durable stainless steel or heavy-duty plastic to withstand frequent use.
More importantly, the cutting edges and blades should be manufactured from strong and durable materials that are rust-resistant and sturdy.
Endeavor to opt for brands known for producing quality and long-lasting manual meat grinders.
To save yourself lots of stress after cooking, ensure you buy a meat grinder with parts that are easy to disassemble and wash in the dishwasher.
If you don’t have a dishwasher, ensure that the parts are easy to clean with warm soapy water and wiped thoroughly clean with a dry piece of cloth, thus preventing the stainless-steel parts from becoming rusty.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is the function of a meat grinder?
A. A meat grinder is a fantastic option to help you stay away from processed meats that are not healthy for the body.
It helps you stay away from preservatives and additives put in store-bought meat since you can have your fresh ground meat right from the field or simply buy raw meat from the store, then grind to your desired shapes and sizes.
Grinding your meats, vegetables, and fruits with a meat grinder will help with promoting a healthy lifestyle.
Q. What is the process of grinding meat with a meat grinder?
A. This is an easy and straightforward process:
- Remove the fat and bones from your meat or chicken
- Cut the meat or chicken into small pieces
- Place them into the meat grinder
- Begin to turn the crank until you get the texture you want – whether fine or coarse
Q. Can you use your meat grinder to grind bones for your dog food?
A. Well, it is not advisable to grind bones with meat grinders because of the hardness and density of bones.
In effect, many manufacturers do not recommend using it for that purpose because bones can shatter some internal components.
Q. Which is a better option: manual or electric meat grinder?
A. They both perform the same function, but the quantity of meat you want to grind, and the frequency of grinding should be the deciding factor for you.
If you grind meat in small batches and only occasionally, it is preferable to buy a manual meat grinder to prevent spending more money since they are available at an affordable price. On the other hand, an electric meat grinder will be a better option if you grind meat in large batches and regularly.
But then, it will cost you a fortune to get a long-lasting quality brand.
Q. Can you stuff sausage with a meat grinder?
A. Manual meat grinders get fitted with sausage stuffing tubes to stuff sausage into a casing. This add-on comes with the package.
All you need do is ensure they are correctly attached to get the job done evenly and neatly.
Q. Is it necessary to sharpen the blade of your meat grinder?
A. The blades in your manual meat grinder are built in such a way that they get automatically re-sharpened as they are grounding the meat while moving within the grinder.
But, if you are not satisfied with the output or texture of your meat after grinding, you can take it for professional sharpening since they are detachable. You can get replacement blades too.
Q. What is the purpose of the different sizes of grinder plates?
A. The different sized holes perform different functions depending on the meal you want to prepare. Those with 1/8”, 3/16” or ¼” holes are great for your hamburger or bologna because of the fine texture ground meat they produce.
The plates with ½” holes are the medium or coarse size that produces coarse-textured meat for making your different types of sausages.
You get both sizes in the package to use as you desire.
Having discovered the fresh taste and flavor of homemade ground meat, there is no way you will spend money on buying from the store again.
All you need is to get the best rated manual meat grinder that will help you produce yours without any form of inconvenience.
A thorough review of all the brands mentioned in this review of the seven best manual meat grinder of 2020 is to help you make the right decision without stress.
Go shop for your preferred brand and begin to make those delicious hamburgers and sausages from the comfort of your home.
This is an opportunity to begin to try out all those recipes in your cookery book.
Have a splendid time building happy memories in your kitchen!
An educative read: The 10 Best Charcoal Grill Under $200 of 2020